Tuesday 30 April 2013

MY COUSIN PETER IS A WOOD TURNER

I have been face booking with my cousin Pete (Peter Coleman) discussing a wide variety of topics. Peter is one of 23 first cousins I have all on my mom's side of the family. Peter, his brothers David , Paul, Steven( who was a baby at the time), sister Heather and I spent many adventurous summers at our grandparents cottage in Muskoka with our grandmother (Bea Coleman).

Grandma was a self taught artist who worked in oils and depending on how much money she had painted on everything from the cardboard backing of note pads (which I found four and have framed them), canvas boards to the walls of the rectory( most notably above the fireplace in the dining room of the Anglican rectory in Deseronto , Ontario.) We have many very creative people in our family, from a cousin who was a ballerina in the National ballet, to novelists, wood turners, wood carvers, great cooks and fine artists like my grandmother and I.

Years ago, my family visited with Steven & Peter and their families. We all had a great dinner at Stevens and chatted about our families, in general catching everyone up on our lives. After dinner, Steven presented me with a beautiful wooden box he had made for an eagle feather ceremony that turned out to be a little small for the feather suggesting that I could use it as a jewelry box. I was thrilled at such a very generous gift and it sits on my dresser and I do use it for jewelry. I look at this little box everyday, it connects me to people I love in a very tangible way. On this same trip we went to Peter's home and I saw Peter's work shop and a display of burl bowls that he had made. His brother David imports exotic wood from around the world and he gave Peter some smaller pieces. Peter inlaid some of this wood into a few of his bowels. Peter told us that at that time he was selling his bowls in Toronto at a gallery on Queen Street and doing quite well. Much to my great surprise Peter offered me one of his bowls, not only did he do that but he allowed me to choose which one I wanted.
This bowl sits today on my coffee table, I dust it each week and oil it when I oil my tables. It is as beautiful today as when Peter gave it to me.

As I mentioned, Peter and I have been face booking each other and the other day Peter indicated he was heading out to BC for a trip and I commented how lucky he was. ( British Columbia is one of the most beautiful places in the world), Pete replied saying he wished he was lucky enough to be able to paint like grandma and I. I thought "WOW!". Then it came to me that I could do a painting for Peter to thank him for the joy his burl bowl has given me over the years. I immediately faced booked him and asked if he'd like a painting and if so what subject matter would he like ---- silly question - trees of course. I indicated to Peter it would probably take me a couple of months and if he could send me some pictures of trees he liked I'd get working. Pete sent the pictures so now I can start working on a composition. I am very excited to get started on this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment