Sunday 14 April 2013

DAY THREE OF EXPERIMENTAL WORK & THREE SWANS

Well, well, well, where to start? 

Perhaps a cuppa tea, will help the process. Put the kettle on , put out a large mug and a teabag. Looking at the painting turning it, evaluating what's happening or not. Decided to lift a large section on part of the cruciform foundation allowing the gold colour to flow into another shape. Evaluate, did this lift  do what I wanted it to - yes, I think so. Clean up edges of various shapes.

Decision - do I continue layering or stop - am I done? Have I said what I wanted to? If I add a layer on top of the wc I'll have to spray it at least 3 times with fixative and allow it to sit until thoroughly dry. Will another layer enhance what I've done or distract? I think I'll spray the work with fixative anyway, set it aside for awhile and come back to it.

Brought out swan painting and put it up on the easel. Looking at the under painting. I have decided to work this painting with an analogous colour palette red violet, violet, blue violet, blue, blue green and  yellow & red orange as compliments. The reference photo was taken this winter along the Niagara river. Re worked the wintery water background, thin sheets of ice can be seen floating along side the birds " gives new meaning to" A Polar Bear Dip".  The swan in the foreground is the smaller of the three perhaps last years gosling. They have such a peaceful grace about them. Deceptive looks mask how strong and aggressive these beautiful birds are.  I have decided to paint the shadow area of the larger swan in the background a greyed blue violet, the one directly in front of him with greyed violet shadows and the little one in the foreground in greyed red violet. The reflections are fantastic as is the light on each bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment