Wednesday 1 May 2013

WORKING, WORKING, SORTING, WORKING, CHECKING

I don't know how many of my fellow artists go through this each year at the beginning of the selling season. But, each year once the paintings are completed and framed, I start working like the most diligent little beaver. My first show is just over a week away and it is one of the largest shows I do. I want to be prepared. I need to know that everything is planned out and all of the tools and things I might require for the show are in their proper boxes or for the last couple of years in their bags. I hate the bags stuff falls to the bottom, one is for ever rummaging around never knowing what's going to grab you. I love shallow boxes with flip lid closures, things are easier to see and quicker to find. I am going to purchase two or three new boxes and laminate lists of what's in each and tape it to each box.

I began today by working on my show book. In this book, I keep show checklists one for indoor one for out door shows, list of paintings going to the show with their price and dimensions( nothing like being at a show and having an odd size canvas that you don't usually work with and a prospective client asks you the size and you stand their and in your mind you are saying to yourself "doh"). I also include a layout of my show set up for the current show, tally sheets for smaller sales. When I first started out I included a show assessment sheet so I could evaluate the show and make critical decisions about how  it was run and if it was worth participating in the next year. I found this invaluable as I was doing every show and different genre as I could the first couple of years. I include my Artists CV and Artists Statement. I spent some time today updating my book.

In order to update my book, I had to layout the Pelham show and do a sketch, this is a time saver for me on set up day. I know where everything is going and I can make slight adjustments quickly. I even indicate symbolically where my lights will be placed. This tells me quickly, how many I will need and I always take a couple of extra just incase. I start by plotting out the length and width of the hanging boards on the floor with tape, then placing the paintings inside arranging and adjusting until I get what I think is a pleasing layout. I repeat this until I have laid out my whole booth. I sketch quickly as I go. These sheets are then placed in my show book for quick reference.

This afternoon, I decided enough with the hated show bags I dumped them out on the counter. What a mess! I spent time sorting and listing. I think I'll need to purchase at least two boxes. I need to measure the space in the van where they will go to be sure they will fit. They have to fit when I'm carrying the tent, sides, easels and paintings - perhaps what I really need is a tow along trailer
for my gear and the paintings can go in the van.lol

No comments:

Post a Comment