Friday 3 May 2013

THE SAGA OF A SEARCH FOR A TALL DIRECTORS CHAIR

About a month ago my mentor asked me if I had a directors chair a tall one.  I replied no. I just use a  regular inexpensive folding canvas chair. "Why?" I asked. Well a directors chair ( a high one) allows you to be at eye level with the public at the shows. Makes it easier to connect and have a dialogue. I thought about this for awhile and eventually decide to go online and do some research on this kind of chair. You know, the regular stuff - how much money - Canadian or American -what size - folding or not - different styles - etc I did an excellent job if I do say so myself, lol,  they ranged in price from $40 US - $ 200 + and come in a variety of styles. colour of wood and the canvas seat and back come in a variety of hues as well. But, I procrastinated until today. Today, one week out from the show I decided to purchase one. I could use it at all my shows indoor and out. I went back on line this morning and tried to find one in the area in which I live. I tried small local stores, big box stores like Home Depot, Walmart,Sears nothing. Then I tried local furniture stores and gardening shops all to no avail. at this point my husband was even offering suggestions and looking up businesses in the yellow pages for me to check out on line - nothing!! I was exasperated with the search. So I had lunch, then decided to go rake my back gardens and get a little fresh air and exercise.

I came back in, cleaned up and started my search again at this point I tried a couple of American sites to see what the delivery time would be one was end May the other mid to end June. Finally, I stumbled on to Amazon, not only did they have the chairs but if I paid a premium for shipping the item would arrive at my doorstep in time for next weekends show. YEAH!!! Success at last. I placed the order and felt well pleased with the efforts of the day. Until ------ my husband came in from work whistling as he came through the front door and calling out to me that he'd found the chairs at Pier One a store in a nearby city and if I wanted to we could go right now and pick one up. He was so excited that he'd found me a chair I didn't have the heart to tell him I'd finally ordered one on line. So, off we went licketty split ,got to the store and there they were beautifully set up bright happy colourful canvases, four different woods a plethora of choices. I finally confessed that I had ordered one from the US. My husband reminded me about how close the show was and if the parcel got stopped at the border I would not have a chair for the show. I conceded the point and thought I could always sell one to a fellow artist. I purchased a high director chair frame and two sets of canvases for it one is a vibrant blue the other bright lime green from Pier One. We quickly packed it up in our van and headed home.

Once home, we set the chair up, attached the canvas ( lovely blue) and my husband insisted that I try it out. Well being of a diminutive stature, I gave a little hop up and managed to get a cheek on the seat and hefted myself into the seat - feet dangling like a little child - then I searched around with my one foot and found the ledge where I could comfortably place my feet. Terrific! Love it! I was also able to look directly at my husbands eyes without having to crane my neck to look up at him, This will work out very well indeed!!

After dinner, I checked my emails and low and behold there was the notification from Amazon that my chair had been already shipped. They claim it will arrive this Tuesday. I better start emailing my friends to see if they need a chair. lol!!!!  The chair coming from the US costs including shipping &  import duties exactly $1.06 more than what I purchased here in Canada. Wow what a merry go round!

No comments:

Post a Comment