Sunday 8 April 2012

Hear All About It! Churchill Wrapped Up in Welland!

Churchills' picture has been taken ready for his debut in 10 days time on www.patriciahaftar.com, Facebook and Twitter.
Off to the Falls to go to Home Depot for coreplast to support Churchill in his travels.Asked young prepubescent young man for directions - he hadn't a clue about what coreplast was and had a total vacant look on his face when I said it was white plastic formed like cardboard. He was kind enough to find an older employee who knew exactly where to look. 1st part of the mission accomplished, I am know the proud owner of two sheets of 18 x24inch coreplast. Bravo me!

Trying to buy a cardboard box on Easter weekend provide to be more elusive than eggs at an Easter Egg hunt. First stop, the Moving company store - only suitable shaped box was a mirror box - very flimsy and I'd certainly not want to put anything as heavy as a mirror in it - let alone how pricey this flimsy box was.
Then on to UPS - cross town - WOW closed all 3 days of the Holiday weekend. Who knew? Slowly starting to pull ones hair out, it comes to me that Staples might have a packing box as they are a Purolator depot. Merde! No joy there either. Gave up went home.

As I skillfully slide my derriere out of the van inspiration hit!( Often happens when I get off my ----) I have packing boxes from a new shipment of canvases, brilliant!

Went down in the studio found said box, emptied it.collected up tape gun, scissors and a black marker.

Out to the garage to get some bubble wrap. Last year I paid UPS almost $30 for 10' of bubble wrap. I complained about the price to my friend Jim and he told me about a wholesaler in the Falls that sold bubble wrap in bulk. So, I bought a honking huge roll for the princely sum of $27 (  I had to have my husband pick up with our neighbours trailer because we couldn't wedge the roll in the back of our extended van.) My husband suspended this huge roll from the ceiling in our garage which at the time I thought it was a smart way to store it - until today. I needed a ladder to pull back the plastic bag that was acting as a super size dust cover. Finally, I managed to cut about 6' off the roll.

I took Churchill off the mantle of the fireplace in the living room. Gently placed the two pieces of coreplast on each side of him, wrapped cardboard around the edges of the canvas and taped sides most securely. Then, cut a strip of bubble wrap,rolled & stuffed it in the bottom of the box. Rolled two more, laid them in at each side of the box and lowered Churchill into place. Rolled another sheet of bubble wrap laid it on top. I put the cardboard box end flaps in and pulled the side flaps together and taped the livin' day lights out of it!! So much work for such a little bear!! I'd hate to have to wrap the real thing - brings a whole new insight into the term "bear hug".

Churchill is off to the Post Office for his Express trip to the shores of Hudson Bay to begin a new lifeat the rectory of St. Paul's Anglican Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment