Thursday 5 April 2012

Churchill Not Just A Prime Minister of the UK

Up early today, picking up Jim and dropping him at the Pelham Library for his classes today. Then over to the Town Hall to drop off promotion items for Summerfest to be put into the Artists Packages. I'm so very pleased that many of Jim's and my friends are backing us in this new show.It is such a pleasure to work with a group of people from Mayor Dave to all his staff that are going out of their way to make this Art Show happen. The Niagara Peninsula along with the City of Calgary have been designated as Canada's Art Capitals. It was very exciting when this was announced last  year and the Opening Gala of the Summerfest Art Show Friday July 20th will be called "Night of the Arts" and celebrations will be going on across the Niagara Peninsula.

I am putting finishing touches on Churchill today. No, I am not referring to the great Prime Minister of Britain(which I'm sure we'd all agree that he is complete, cigar and all), this Churchill is a bear, to be specific a Polar Bear.

My cousin Grace Coleman Anthony,who is the Anglican Minister of St.Paul's parish in Churchill Manitoba commissioned me to do a painting for her. She sent me two pictures one of a sled dog and one of a Polar bear that she had taken from her truck. Churchill the Polar bear spoke to me, he's magnificent as he lays on the tundra in the setting sun. I emailed Grace to let her know that he was almost finished. I needed to know from her which carriers deliver into Churchill and how to address the parcel. Previous to this I sent Grace a jpeg of the underpainting. I do this with all my commission clients so I can make any adjustments before I get to many hours into the work.

OMG! shipping rates to Churchill are way over the top. Wow! Plus adding insurance on top. Amazing! However the good news is that it will, depending which carrier Grace chooses, take approx.7 business days  unless of course it goes overland by Canada Post then it's up to 13 + business days which would make it at least 3weeks. No wonder, it is so expensive to live in the far North the shipping costs are phenomenal.

Now to find a suitable box and do the finishing touches to Churchill.
Underpainting "Churchill"

1 comment:

  1. Please make note of change Grace is at St. Paul's Anglican Church. Not sure where I picked up the St. Anne's from sorry for the confusion.

    ReplyDelete