Monday 18 March 2013

SUBTRACTION LEADS TO ADDITION

Denise Sperry's workshop on Texture and the subtractive method to bring out a subject  made for a wonderful little weekend dance for the "little grey cells". I was in gesso up the ying yang! While the class worked on 300 lb watercolour paper I worked on canvas.

My first endeavour was headed for big problems as I couldn't follow what Denise was doing as I'd brought my watercolour palette not my tubes. But, I decided not to waste time and proceeded to work on my own project using a variety textures, watercolours from my palette and tubes of heavy acrylic. Lifting and highlighting leaves,texturing again, stamping and spattering to my hearts content.

I worked my first piece using a desert triad of primary colours. Deciding on an over all cool feel to the picture,with blue in largest field, yellow in secondary and red in very small amounts. Cruciform for structure. Movement created through texturing and subtraction.

I will post samples of this project.

Project 2: Landscape:

I choose an analagous colour scheme along with a compliment.Textured my canvas. Sloshed juicy colours across my canvas again using a cruciform structure. Looked for interesting shapes in the path way of light, used subtraction and their came the subject to the fore like magic.

Denise critiqued through out the work shop helping the artists to focus on areas that worked and those that needed additional thought. The artists all shared ideas, equipment etc. and encouraged each other through the weekend.

I was taken aback when it was suggested that I put my work into juried competitions as I had done my own thing through out the weekend. I am going to continue to experiment with texture.

Thanks Denise for the inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment